There is no end to the different types of freelance jobs out there to get you started in the business. The market is so wide that anyone can make money freelancing if they are willing to put in the effort.
You may be looking for a way to earn a full-time income as a freelancer. Or you may just want to pick up a few extra hours of side work every week to supplement your income. That’s the freedom that freelancing offers.
But if you are just getting started, you might have no clue about the possibilities that are awaiting you. So this post is going to break down the types of freelance jobs that people are already making good money in on Legiit. Our goal today is to help you find the freelance niche that is the best fit for you.
But First… Is Freelancing Right For You?
We’ve written a complete post to help you answer the question Is Freelancing Worth It? But if you’re looking for the short version, here are some quick questions to ask yourself to determine if this is really the path you want to follow:
- Do you have a strong desire to be your own boss?
- Do you want more control over your work schedule?
- Are you looking for a way to maximize your earning potential?
- Are you ready to put in the hard work it takes to succeed at freelancing?
If you can answer yes to all of these questions, then freelancing is the right path for you. Now it’s just a matter of figuring out what type of freelance job you want to pursue.
5 Types of Freelance Jobs
#1 Graphic Designer
A graphic designer puts their artistic skills to the benefit of others. Specifically, you’ll assist business owners and web designers in creating logos, social media images, and other visual assets that will speak to their brand and fit seamlessly with their existing designs.
If you’ve already got artistic talent but lack the technical skills needed for professional graphic design, it is still very possible for you to succeed in the industry. You’ve just got to invest the time to learn the tools of the trade, whether on your own or through a course.
On the other hand, graphic design probably isn’t the type of freelancing job that you can get into if you aren’t already artistically inclined.
You’ll love being a freelance graphic designer if…
- You enjoy finding creative solutions to visual problems.
- You like bringing other people’s ideas to life.
- You have a knack for art, design, color, and balance.
#2 SEO Provider
As an SEO provider, you will help businesses rank their websites well in search engines like Google. You may work directly with business owners, or you may provide micro services to SEO agencies who are looking to outsource some of their everyday work.
SEO tasks include everything from creating business listings on sites like Yelp to conducting email outreach to bloggers in order to secure guest post opportunities.
SEO is a skill that can be learned by almost anyone, so this could be a great industry to get into if none of the other categories are up your alley.
You’ll love being a freelance SEO provider if…
- You get satisfaction from helping local businesses grow.
- You are passionate about figuring out how search engines work.
- You want to work in a field that is a little bit science and a little bit art.
#3 Multimedia Artist
Video and audio have a way of capturing attention and evoking emotion unlike any other medium. That’s why a skilled multimedia artist can make a very decent living as a freelancer. Your skills are in high demand, and you’ll work with business owners and marketing agencies on everything from lead generating videos to radio commercial jingles.
Don’t worry if you aren’t skilled in all aspects of multimedia. This is one freelance category in which people really do niche down. As long as you are a master of what you do, you can find success.
You’ll love being a freelance multimedia artist if…
- You are skilled with creating and editing video and/or audio productions.
- You are comfortable completing or outsourcing tasks like script writing, graphic design, and voice acting.
- You have a passion for finding creative solutions to multimedia production challenges.
#4 Web Developer/Designer
Web designers and developers help businesses, bloggers, and internet marketers see their visions take shape on the internet. You’ll work with people on a daily basis to create an amazing user experience for their websites.
Sometimes, you’ll be building sites completely from scratch. Other times, you’ll just be making minor repairs or updates. You can expect the job to be both design oriented and highly technical.
You’ll love being a freelance web developer/designer if…
- You enjoy coding and are comfortable troubleshooting issues with code.
- You have a passion for user experience, website organization, and design.
- You love to help people make their visions into reality online.
Work as a freelance writer allows you to have your writing published all over the internet. You’ll write blog posts, sales pages, service page content, and even email newsletters and social media posts.
You will work directly with business owners, web designers, and SEO agencies who are looking for quality content for their digital marketing campaigns.
You’ll love being a freelance writer if…
- There is a special place in your heart for grammar, word choice, and sentence structure.
- You love to move people through the power of the written word.
- You have a knack for research, sales, and editing.
Which Type of Freelance Job is Right For You?
We’ve looked at 5 of the largest categories of freelance industries that you can break into today. Plenty of freelancers are already finding a ton of success in these niches on Legiit, and there is no reason you can’t enjoy the same. As long as you put in the hard work.
The right one for you can be found at the intersection where your passion and skills connect. From there, it’s just a matter of carving out your space in the industry and finding a way to stand out from your competition.